Call Us!

Queens Botanical Garden

Queens Botanical Garden is a botanical garden located at 43-50 Main Street in Flushing, Queens, New York City. The 39-acre (16 ha) site is where you can find the bee, the roses, the arboretum wedding, perennial gardens, an art gallery, and a green structure certified by LEED. Visitor & Administration Building. Queens Botanical Garden is located on the City of New York’s land and is supported by various public and private sources. Queens Botanical Garden Society, Inc operates it.

Queens Botanical Garden was created in 1939 as part of the New York World’s Fair and was initially situated in Flushing Meadows Corona Park. It was moved to its present location and vacant land east of Flushing Meadows Park in 1963 to prepare for the New York World’s Fair. Since its establishment, the garden has become an area of substantial expansion. Queens Botanical Garden has continued to expand and has programs geared toward the surrounding. In 2001, it was the year 2001 that Queens Botanical Garden Society published an overall plan to renovate the garden. The project focused on the position of the garden’s location at the bottom of that subterranean Kissena Creek. Several improvements were made over the following years, including constructing a new environmentally-friendly parking lot and administration building.

In 1939, the New York World’s Fair, located in the nearby Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, then later becoming The Queens Botanical Garden, ultimately became a showcase of horticulture referred to as “Gardens on Parade,” Hortus, Incorporated, run that. The gardens were initially located close to the West of the present site, in the northeastern part of the fairgrounds, at 131st Street Between Lawrence Street, Queens, NYC and the Flushing River along the planned Van Wyck Expressway route.

The New York City Department of Sanitation garage on Dahlia Avenue was part of the present-day Queens Botanical Garden to the west of Main Street. It was in the 50s when the garage was demolished, and plans were put in place to take it down. A playground was planned between Elder Avenue and 135th Street in the current Queens Botanical Garden and was initially scheduled to be completed by March 1957. On March 11, however, there was just a comfy station with no lights. The site also required significant filling before theft which could be created. According to the Parks Department, the project was delayed due to poor weather conditions. The site was initially used as a dump site, and the dirt was poured over it after the community appealed. Amid three months of reluctance, the playground was completed in June 1957. H&A Queens Plumbing

Kissena Creek

Kissena Creek initially ran under the present locations, which include Kissena Park, Kissena Corridor Park, and Queens Botanical Garden, before connecting with Flushing Creek at what is now called The Fountain of Planets / Pool of Industry in Flushing Meadows. 1934 witnessed Kissena Creek being placed inside the culvert at its intersection with Main Street (Jagger Avenue) during a plan to broaden the street. The remaining part of the creek was dug into the ground during the mid-century in the Queens Botanical Garden’s development.

Find other neighborhoods that are similar to Queens Museum