5/5

Call Us!

Queens Museum

Queens Museum, formerly called the Queens Museum of Art, is an art museum and educational center located in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, which is in the Borough of Queens in New York City, United States. The museum was founded in 1972. It is home to its permanent exhibits, including the Panorama of the City of New York, which is a model the size of a room of five boroughs. It was constructed in preparation for the 1964 New York World’s Fair and is continually updated. The museum also houses a vast collection of objects from both World Fairs that are on display.

The Queens Museum is located inside the New York City Building in Queens, NYC, the first pavilion built by designer Aymar Embury in 1939 to host the World’s Fair. From 1946 until 1950, the pavilion was used as a temporary residence for the United Nations General Assembly. It also served as the site of many significant events in the initial years of the UN, including the creation of UNICEF and the partition of Korea, as well as the approval of the UN for the creation of Israel.

The structure was revamped in 1964. The structure was rebuilt in 1964 by designer Daniel Chait and was once used as an amphitheater. New York City Pavilion for the 1964 World’s Fair showcased an impressive Panorama of the City of New York created by artist Daniel Chait. It is on display. In 1939 The Billy Rose Aquacade and Amphitheater were upgraded in 1964 in time for between 1964 and 1965 World’s Fair but fell into decay in the 1980s and was demolished in 1996.

In 1972, following minor changes, the northern section of the New York City building was changed to the Queens Center for Art and Culture and renamed the Queens Museum of Art. In 1994, the structure was undergoing a second renovation and included the designer Rafael Vinoly reconfiguring the layout into galleries, classrooms, and offices. The whole structure was utilized as an ice track for a lengthy period.

Collections and Exhibits

Permanent Collection

The museum’s permanent collection includes about 10,000 items, including more than 6,000 items and documents that relate to the 1964 and 1939 World Fairs, some of that is currently on display. Recent acquisitions, either by donations or purchases, including work by Salvador Dali, Mark Dion Andrew Moore’s photos of Robert Moses and the Modern City (a collection of 20th century works from the 1964 World’s Fair Kodak Pavilion), and crime scene photographs that were taken in The Daily News Archive (the 1920s-1960s) and more than 1,000 drawings by cartoonist and journalist William Sharp.

Neustadt Collection of Tiffany Glass

Since 1995, the museum has collaborated 1995 with the Neustadt Collection of Tiffany glass. The collection is on display in the permanent exhibit, derived from a large private Tiffany collection that was curated by Dr. Egon Neustadt and his wife Hildegard beginning in the mid-1930s. H&A Queens Plumbing

Consider other areas, for example Rockaway