5/5

Call Us!

St. George

St. George is a neighborhood located on the northeastern edge of Staten Island in New York City, located near the shoreline, which is where it is where Kill Van Kull enters Upper New York Bay. It is the highest-density developed area on Staten Island and the administrative center for the borough and Richmond County. Richmond County. It is also home to the St. George Terminal, which serves passengers of the Staten Island Ferry and the Staten Island Railway and is situated here too. The Tompkinsville neighborhood borders St. George. Tompkinsville and on the west by the New Brighton neighborhood. New Brighton.

The area now St. George was initially home to people from the Lenape Native Americans, then colonized by the Dutch and British. The first developments for residential development began in the 1830s, and in the latter half of the 19th century, it was a resort for summer. Before establishing the terminal for ferry and railroad in 1886, the current St. George was considered a part of New Brighton. The region around the current railway terminal and ferry was named in honor of the developer George Law, whom Erastus Wiman had promised to “canonize” in exchange for surrendering the land rights to the terminal. Numerous government buildings and landmarks were built at St. George at the beginning of the 20th century. Additional developments along the waterfront started in the mid-21st century. H&A Staten Island Plumbing

In the beginning, Staten Island was inhabited by the Munsee-speaking Lenape Native Americans. The Lenape moved around during the different seasons, moving towards the coast to fish during summer and further to the inland areas to hunt and cultivate crops in the winter and fall. The area now New York City was inhabited in 1624 by Dutch inhabitants as part of New Netherlands. In 1664 the Dutch donated New Netherlands to the British. Six years later, the British signed a purchase agreement together with Lenape.

Houses

Fort Hill is a part of the Fort Hill area that comprises the remains of the streets and houses in which children of the Tompkins Westervelt, Tompkins, and Low families resided. The Fort Hill area was home to the houses of Daniel D. Tompkins, Anson Phelps-Stokes, as well as Daniel Low. Another famous property owner was August Belmont, whose name is honored within Belmont Place. Many of the houses that remain today are homes and summer residences of the extended family Low-Tompkins and other relatives. Fort Hill is a residential area. Fort Hill includes many examples of Victorian, Tudor, and Shingle styles, Art Deco architecture, and one home modeled after a Spanish castle. Along the waterfront, there are 2 Greek Revival houses on St. George’s waterfront, located at 272 and 404 Richmond Terrace. These are the last traces of the “Temple Row” on the waterfront in the mid-19th century.

Restaurants Nearby

  • Cinderellas Mexican Restaurant is located at 108 Victory Blvd. Staten Island, NY
  • Cargo Cafe is located at 120 Bay St, Staten Island, NY
  • Mixtena Poblana has its address at the address 104 Victory Boulevard, Staten Island, NY

Look into other neighborhoods, such as Todt Hill