5/5

Call Us!

West New Brighton

West New Brighton (also called West Brighton) is a neighborhood on Staten Island, New York City, located on the central North Shore. New Brighton borders the area to the east, Port Richmond to the west, the waters of the Kill Van Kull to the north, and those communities in Sunnyside and Castleton Corners to the south.

The area was initially known in the past as “Factoryville,” Islanders now generally refer to the area by the term West Brighton. A few areas in the neighborhood near the beach include “Livingston” and “Randall Manor.” The area in Staten Island was initially settled by the Dutch during the 1600s, followed by English colonists. In the American Revolution, residents of West Brighton overtly remained loyal to the Crown. Numerous waves of immigrants from the US followed, and the Irish then populated the area. The area is dominated by Irish, followed by Germans, Italians, African Americans, and Hispanics.

The US’s oldest continuously running cricket team was founded at West Brighton in 1872 on the site known as Walker Park. There is a Staten Island Cricket Club that still plays there. It is also the first tennis court site on lawns in the US, constructed in 1873. It was, however, transformed over the period following World War II. Two crucial development of public housing were completed. The first, Markham Homes, was initially designed to accommodate families of shipyards and workers in the defense industry. They later built the West Brighton Houses followed. In 2004 tenants living in The Markham Homes were evicted to ensure that the area could be renovated. Since 2007 the tenants were all relocated. Although there was a claim that residents could return to the extent that was redeveloped, only a few have been successful.

Landmarks

Some notable landmarks include the Staten Island Zoo, Clove Lakes Park, and Silver Lake Park, along the neighborhood’s boundary. Snug Harbor is also located in the nearby town of Livingston. It is home to playing fields for baseball, a museum for children and the Chinese garden and botanical gardens, The Art Lab, and the Staten Island Conservatory of Music. St. Peter’s Cemetery, which is well-maintained and is the first Roman Catholic cemetery on Staten Island (opened in 1848), is also situated in this area, as well as numerous small cemeteries that have been abandoned in which the members of a few members of the island’s founding families are buried. H&A Staten Island Plumbing

It was once St. Vincent’s Medical Center but is now Richmond University Medical Center and is situated within West Brighton. However, most of the buildings located on the RUMC campus date back to the mid-sixties or later. For example, the Garner Mansion is from the 19th century. It was used as the St. Austin Military School but is now closed.

Restaurants Nearby

  • Blue can be found at the address 1115 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY
  • Panini Grill is located at 538 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY
  • King Arms Diner is located at 500 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY

Find other neighborhoods similar to Arden Heights